Tuesday, 11 May 2010

I found a bug (but one I wasn't meant to find)

The biggest issue with being a tester is that it is habit forming. After a while you find yourself looking for bugs and when things do fail you find yourself trying to recreate them so you can narrow down the exact set of circumstances that cause the bug.

I have found a bug on my blackberry.

My phone has this cool feature called bedside mode, in this mode all the radios are turned off making it impossible for calls,email,sms etc to ruin a good nights sleep. The phone also has a feature that turns off the radios when battery power gets too low. Once the phone is being charged the radios will be turned on automatically.

The above two functions work well in isolation but when they are tested together there is a bug. Here is my bug report:
Abstract: battery charging causes phone to turn radio on even in bedside mode

Description:
1)Let battery drain so radios are powered off automatically
2)Plug phone into mains
3)turn bedside mode on
4)Once battery power becomes normal the radios will turn on again (even though bedside mode is on) and your sleep is disturbed by incoming messages.

So what do I do now. If this was a project that I was testing then there would be a well defined process for me to raise this issue with the development team. But I am just a customer. I had a search on RIM's website and couldn't see a way to raise a defect or even contact the support team.
Post a Comment